Friday, August 19, 2011

Feature Friday: Rolling in the Deep


I really don't think I need to tell you who this is.  Adele has seemingly come out of nowhere and grabbed the spotlight.  I hear her on the radio, covered on America's Got Talent, and featured on commercials.  There is no doubt that she has an incredible voice and loads of talent to sing the way she does.  Her song "Rolling in the Deep" seems to imprint itself deeply on practically anyone who hears it.  The passion and soul you can hear as she sings it have captured all of our attention.

Have you stopped to pay attention to the lyrics?  For the sake of copyright, I won't repost them here.

She is singing from a broken heart.  The fire that's burning in her heart is one of anger at the man who hurt her so deeply.  Examine the lyrics and you'll see that she carries scars from this relationship.  She got played.  She wishes she had never even met this Romeo.  In fact, she is at the point where she hopes he gets what he deserves and she even threatens him a bit herself!



I think her song grabs our attention because all of us, in one way or another, can relate to that kind of hurt.  We have all either been let down, abandoned, manipulated, played, lied to, betrayed, or just plain hurt by someone we loved.  Whether its a parent who walked out on you or a romantic relationship or even just a close friend, the wounds from loved ones hurt the deepest don't they?  It hurts the most from them, because they are the ones we least expect it from.  They are the ones we trust the most.

Let me break the sad truth to you: Everyone on this earth will let you down in one way or another.  Your parents will let you down.  Your friends will let you down.  Your girlfriend, boyfriend, husband, or wife will let you down.  Your children will let you down.  I think its best for you to accept that now.  Remember that as much as you love them, they are flawed people just like you.  They will have their bad days when they make a mistake and hurt you.  Some of them will do it on purpose while for others it will be an accident.  Some of them will truly be sorry and try to make it up to you.  Others won't really care.

That sounds bleak doesn't it?  Am I saying you should never trust anyone ever again?  No.  You need to trust people and let people into your life.  Just remember though, that your loved ones will let you down sometimes.  You can't put your whole heart and soul in their clumsy hands.  They will drop the ball.

Don't stop reading and cry.  There is great news!  There is someone whom you can trust wholeheartedly!  There is someone who will always have your best in mind.  There is someone who will never lie to you or break a single promise to you.  There is someone who will always be there when needed.  This someone will love you even more than you love yourself.

He is the Rock, His works are perfect and all His ways are just.  A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is He.  Deuteronomy 32:4  


... God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."  Hebrews 13:5

God is the only one who will be faithful forever.  He is the only perfect Friend we will ever find.  We run into problems when we start expecting others to be perfect like Him.  If you put all of your hope into your relationship with a boy or girl or friend or even your parents or your children, then you are setting yourself up to get your heart and hopes crushed.

I love my wife Christy and I do trust her.  But I also understand that she is going to let me down at times.  If my life was centered around her, then I would be absolutely heartbroken and unable to recover if she were to lie to me.  But if my life is centered around God, when she messes up, my Rock has not moved. While I will be hurt by her, I won't be devastated and hopeless, because I have placed my hope in the hands of the One who is forever faithful and good to me.  And having this perspective and understanding will help me to forgive her and move forward.


Questions for you...

So, what sort of things do you do with a person you absolutely trust and rely on?  Do you do those things with God?  Do you vent with God?  Do you ask God for advice?  Do you pour out your heart to God?  If not, what steps can you take to start doing that in order to make God the One whom you trust the most?

Are you realistic about the main relationships in your life?  Are you expecting too much from people?  Are you handing them your entire heart and soul and expecting them to take perfect care of you always?

Is there anyone who has hurt you, that you have been unable to forgive because you are being unrealistic and expecting them to be the perfect faithful friend that only God can be?  With this perspective, can you forgive them now?

In what ways has God proven Himself to you as a faithful and good friend?  Spend some time praising God for His perfect friendship and ask Him to help you entrust yourself solely to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment