Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Ever Changing Me

Yeah... I want to watch this...
Just a simple thought today.  Last night, after Christy and I had finished an episode of Bones, I was skimming through the Netlix menu.  I spotted TinkerBell and the Secret of Wings and my reaction surprised Christy and actually embarrassed me if I'm honest.  I saw it and said something along the lines of, "Sweet!  I haven't seen this one yet.  I'll have to watch it."

Now, before you think I've lost my mind, let me inform you that I meant that I would have to watch it with Michaela, you know, my 17 month old daughter who is in love with TinkerBell.  However, if I'm totally honest, I find myself legitimately interested in seeing this next movie.  I've seen two of them already and want to see how the next portion of the tinker fairy's saga plays out.

Call me girly or soft or whatever but I never would have reacted like that or wanted to see this movie at all two years ago.  The point is, Michaela has changed me.  Her interests have somehow become my interests.  Things that excite her are actually somehow starting to excite me.  The more time I spend with her, the more my interests are being transformed by her.  Hopefully, this will work both ways and she will be a big Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and, more importantly, Jesus fan when she grows up.

I'm not actively trying to be like Michaela or gain her interests.  I didn't have a conversation with my heart or personality and try to convince myself to like the things she likes.  It just happened as I spent time with her.

That, I think, is exactly how it works with God.  We don't start off like God.  We each start off with our own set of selfish and sinful desires.  But the more time we spend with God the more we will begin to change.  I'm not talking about trying to change ourselves by quoting doctrinal statements or telling our heart to change.  I'm talking about just spending time with God and it just happening.  Being in His presence and praying and reading His Word will change us.

For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. -- Romans 8:29


God wants to make us like Jesus.  How?

When we spend time with Jesus, the desires of our heart will begin to change to match His.  We become less self focused and more others minded, less concerned about our kingdoms and more concerned about His.  I've seen it happen to me.  I'm not perfect yet, but I'm also not the rude, selfish, arrogant, sarcastic, intellectual bully I used to be... though he does still rear his ugly head on occasion.  How about you?  Have you been changed by His presence?  Are you trying hard to change your own desires?  Have you tried just sitting at His feet and spending time with Him in His Word, worship, prayer, and fellowship with His people?  I hope so, because it's a close relationship with Him that changes us.  

May you find yourself ever more like Christ as you spend your time with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment