Thursday, February 23, 2012

Theology Thursday: Why do bad things happen to good people? Part 3



The votes are in and we are returning to our third installment of this question.  Why do bad things happen to good people?  This is a very difficult question and if you are going through a hard time right now, this may not be very helpful.  I think we need to address this question for ourselves before the hard times come so that we have a foundation to stand on in the midst of the storms of life.  During the storm, its difficult to focus on anything other than the lightning and flooding.  So, lets ingrain these lessons now and be ready when life gets tough.

In our first look at this question, we saw that really none of us are good people.  We are all sinners who have rebelled against God and deserve Hell.  Because of that, we should be shocked by all of the good things that God blesses us with that we don't deserve.  In our second look at the question, we saw that hard and difficult times are often the only ways for us to grow in character and learn valuable lessons.  Just like we press through the pain of exercise to gain physical strength, it is vital to press through the pain of loss, conflict, and more to gain strength of character.  That brings us to our third look at the question today.  Why do bad things happen to good people?



God Has a Bigger Plan

Does that sound cliche?  Yeah.  Does it sound trite?  Sure.  But is it true?


And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.  --  Romans 8:28

The Bible tells us that God doesn't waste a thing.  If you are a Christian, then there is not a single moment in your life when God wasn't working things out for your good.  Everything, the good times and the bad, are being shaped and used by God to do great good in your life.

When we are in the midst of the storm, its hard to hear this and believe it.  Its hard to see the good when you are lying in bed listening to your parents fight yet again.  Its hard to see the good when you get passed over in a job interview or a college application.  Its hard to see good coming out of the death of a loved one.  Its hard to trust God when you've been single for so long and God seems to have forgotten that you'd like to get married someday.  So, instead of saying things like "God's ways are higher than your ways" or "Trust God because the Bible tells you to," let me share with you some encouraging stories from my life and the lives of others.

The Hole in My Heart

For those of you who don't know, I didn't have the ideal family growing up.  When I was very little, my father moved out of the house.  He went from a every weekend dad to every other weekend dad to a once a month dad.  From age twelve to eighteen, I didn't see him at all after an ugly custody battle.  During my childhood, I remember discovering that my family was different.  I would wonder why my dad didn't live with us.  I would wonder what was wrong with me that my dad didn't want to be with me.  I remember crying myself to sleep a lot.

But today, if I could go back and change it, I wouldn't.  I was not a Christian growing up.  I hated church and I didn't get the Gospel.  I was a very self-righteous and judgmental person.  Around Freshmen year of high school, I started going to a Bible study at a friend's house.  I heard the gospel time and time again and I rejected it like I always had.  But one day, everything changed.  Pastor Joshua Holec read a verse as we were studying Ephesians.

In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will...  --  Ephesians 1:4b-5

God wanted to adopt me?  He wanted to be my Father?  He wants me to be His son?  And He isn't obligated to do this but its out of love and something He is pleased to do?  And Jesus had to die to make that happen but He was willing to pay that price to call me son?  That's the night I truly accepted the gospel and became a Christian.

Why wouldn't I change a thing?  Because my heart was so self-righteous and hard that the gospel didn't matter to me.  I thought I was good enough and didn't really need God.  The only thing that broke through my hard heart was the deep need I had to have a father who loved me.  I honestly believe that if I had a great relationship with my dad when I was a child, the gospel would have never broken through to me.  God used my deep pain for a great good.  He used it to draw me into a relationship with Himself through Christ that has saved me!  Not only that, but my experiences have given me great insight and compassion in ministering to those who come from broken homes.

Soul Surfer


Did you catch Soul Surfer in the movies last year?  It tells the story of Bethany Hamilton, a young Christian surfer girl who competed in national surfing championships from a young age.  When she was 13, her left arm was tragically bitten off by a shark.  Needless to say, her life was forever changed and everything from getting dressed to surfing became a challenge.  She has gone on to be an inspiration to thousands and has shared her faith all over the world on top of winning surfing championships with only one arm.

Bethany also sees the good that God brought out of this tragic situation.  When asked if she would change it all if she could, she said, "Surfing isn't the most important thing in life.  Love is.  I've had the chance to embrace more people with one arm than I ever could with two."  Bethany recognizes that while the experience was extremely difficult and painful, God had a much bigger and better plan that she wouldn't change if she could.

Jesus

The clearest place that we see this is in the death of Jesus.  The murder of Jesus is the most despicable and evil act in the history of the world.  Nothing else compares to the day when men mocked, pierced, spat on, beat, and murdered God in the flesh.  Indeed, it was the worst of evils happening to the only man who ever lived who could be called good.  Why did this bad thing happen to this good Man? 

Indeed Herod and Pontius Pilate met together with the Gentiles and the people of Israel in this city to conspire against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed. They did what your power and will had decided beforehand should happen.  --  Acts 4:27-28

The sovereign God planned this great evil.  Why?  To make salvation possible to sinners like you and I.  If God can take that awful and vile thing and use it for such an amazing good, then surely He can take the bad things in our lives and work them together for good as well.  Jesus knew what the outcome of the cross would be and it was for that joy that He willingly suffered through it.


Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  --  Hebrews 12:2

Why do bad things happen to good people?  Because God has a plan to work it all into great good.  Its a bigger picture plan that we won't always understand in the midst of the storm, but we need to trust that He will use the pain and hardship for good.  When you find yourself doubting how God could possibly use what you are going through for good someday, remember these stories.  Remember that God used my pain as a child to give me the gift of salvation.  Remember that God gave Bethany a worldwide ministry by taking away her arm.  Remember that God made salvation possible through the greatest evil ever committed, the murder of His own Son.  Let these stories fuel your heart to trust God to bring good out of whatever you are going through.  And let that give you hope, peace, and even joy in the midst of life's greatest storms as you set your eyes on the good that is to come.

Some Questions...
  • Do you have a similar story?  What tragedy has God used for good in your life?  You may need to think through some of your painful times and process them to see how God has used them to shape you and help others.
    • How can you remind yourself of that to give yourself hope in future hardships?
    • Would you be willing to share your story with us?  If so, drop it in a comment here or on Facebook.  
  • Are you going through a hard time right now?  Were any of the three stories I shared helpful to you?  If so, how can you remind yourself of these stories regularly to remind you that God will use what you are going through for good?
  • Have you trusted in the death and resurrection of Jesus to be saved and adopted as a child of God?  If not, what is holding you back?  If you'd like to become a Christian, contact your local pastor or me so we can help you take your first steps in your new faith!
  • Don't forget to vote on next Thursday's topic at the top right!

No comments:

Post a Comment